I must confess I have never tried this educational iPad app or studied the Civil War (beyond reading Gone With The Wind -> I am Canadian, eh?). But I suspect that I will be doing both soon. 🙂
This is the featured app of the week at the app store and seems to be a perfect example of the value of teaching with the iPad. With this app you sign up for 4 years of daily emails that precisely mirror what was happening 150 years ago. I’ve included the text from the Apple store so you can see exactly what this app offers – think actual documents and first person history with daily reinforcement.
At $7.99 it’s less than the price of a paperback and definitely more interactive and engaging. If you try it, be sure and let me know how you use it.
The Civil War Today for iPad on the iTunes App Store.
150 years after the start of the American Civil War, HISTORY presents The Civil War Today, a ground-breaking app created by Bottle Rocket Apps exclusively for the iPad. Experience the war as it unfolded, one day at a time, with daily updates that let you live the events in “real-time” over the course of four years.
The Civil War Today leverages the iPad multi-touch interface to enable app users to feel and explore thousands of original documents, photos, maps, diary entries, quotes, and newspaper broadsheets like never before.
The Civil War Today includes:
• Daily Civil War updates from April 12, 2011 through April 26, 2015. The app content updates ONE DAY AT A TIME, precisely mirroring the events of 150 years ago
• “In the Headlines” featuring newspapers from every day of the war.
• Running tallies of the North and South casualty counts.
• “A Day in the Life” with personal letters and diary entries from 15 individuals including Abraham Lincoln, Horatio Nelson Taft, and Mary Boykin Miller Chesnut.
• Photo of the day and photo galleries.
• Quote of the day.
• Articles and video on featured topics.
• Authentic period maps from key battlegrounds.
• Daily North-South quiz.
• Detailed background scenes that put you in the time and place of the Civil War. (Northern city, Southern plantation, Western frontier town, military camp).
• Twitter integration to send a telegram via morse code.
• GameCenter integration to earn Civil War era appropriate achievements – and display them in a virtual medals case.
• Airplay integration for viewing of app video via Apple TV.
• Advanced multi-finger gesture functionality and custom toolbar for deep navigation.