Jane Austen would be proud – my running list of GOOD free book sites. The kind of ebooks that you download onto your portable devices, like your iPhone, iPad, Kindle, and your Palm too. Or read directly from your computer.
As for content this list is for sites that are for ‘classics’ – not the ‘modern-unpublished-in-the-traditional-sense’ books of unknown writers or the ‘here’s-a-free-ebook-so-you’ll-pay-me-money-for-other-stuff’ books. Pretty much the books you’ll want to use for your children’s curriculum, especially if you’re of the Charlotte Mason, AmblesideOnline ilk or just someone who enjoys the beauty of great literature.
If you know of other free ebooks sites along that line please drop me a line and let me know. Hope you find this helpful!
- Gutenberg – the main site – tons of free books in many formats for the taking!
- Gutenberg Canada – books that are in the Canadian Public Domain.
- Gutenberg Australia – books that in the in the Australian Public Domain
- Munseys.com – Over 20,000 rare and hard to find titles in 10 formats
- G.A. Henty books – A homeschooling favourite – historical adventure stories
- International Children’s Digital Library – a digital library of children’s books from around the world
- Internet Archive – contains a wide range of fiction, popular books, children’s books, historical texts and academic books.
- ManyBooks.net – many titles from Gutenberg, the creative commons and others in the public domain
- Scribd – millions of documents and books
- GetFreeBooks – collected from around the ‘net.
- Memoware – collection of thousands of documents (databases, literature, maps, technical references, lists, etc.)
- Bookyards – web portal in which books, education materials, information, and content are free to the world
- Online Books Page – over a million books online
- Wikibooks – open content of textbooks; also a WikiJunior for children!
- DailyLit – very cool idea – receive a ‘chunk’ of your chosen book everyday in your email for quick daily reading.
- Adobe Digital Editions – some free samples and full books for reading in Adobe Digital Editions
- Amazon Free Kindle eBooks – under ‘Kindle ebooks’ and sorted from lowest price to highest price. It’s an affiliate link, in the interest of full disclosure, which means nothing when you’re downloading free books! :-D
Drop me a line of your other favourite, and reputable, ebook sites!